Lisbon Like a Local Culinary and Creative Retreat
October 8-13, 2017 -- SOLD OUT
I am thrilled to announce I’m teaming up with my friend Filipe to bring you 6 days of food, wine, creativity and beauty in the sunny streets of Lisbon!
For those of you who don’t know him, Filipe Lucas Frazão is a Portuguese food and lifestyle photographer. In addition to shooting and styling for global clients, Filipe is also a ridiculously good cook (don’t get me started about his octopus rice!) who shares his creative, Portuguese-inspired recipes on his blog, Chilli com Todos.
Here’s a taste of what we have planned for you:
- When you arrive in Lisbon, you’re picked up at the airport and dropped off at a boutique guesthouse on a quiet, tree-lined square. After taking a little time to freshen up, you meet the rest of the group over cocktails. We head off for a walking tour of the neighborhood before sitting down to a traditional Portuguese dinner.
- On the following days, you cook alongside local chefs, taste amazing cheeses and Portuguese wines (lots of wines!), and sample all sorts of traditional pastries. You embark on a tasting tour in one of the city’s oldest and most picturesque neighborhoods. You visit the studios of a ceramicist, a jewelry-maker and create your own macrame wall-hanging with a local artist.
- You go on an excursion to a seaside village for a traditional seafood lunch at a local restaurant. After lunch, you learn how to pick and open sea urchins and taste the briny roe straight from the sea. You visit an organic farm to learn all about their beautiful property and products.
All you need to do is book your ticket, pack your bags and show up. We’ll take care of the rest. Meals, your lodging, navigating around the city--we’ve got it all covered. So you can unwind from the daily routine of overcommitment and stress and feel like yourself again!
Here are a few of the things that happen when you arrive back home:
- You find yourself whistling while you shuttle your fam through the morning rush and get everyone out the door, fully clothed, fed and (miracle of all miracles!) on time.
- Suntanned and radiant, you feel confident enough to flirt with that sexy barista.
- You head back to work with ninja-like abilities to get shit done (like a boss). You remember, too, what a badass you are and finally go for that raise or new job you’ve been dreaming of.
- You suddenly have the energy to tackle that home improvement project you’ve had “on hold” for months (or years).
- You tie on your apron and dazzle your friends and family with a feast inspired by the flavors of Portugal.
- At the end of the day, you feel relaxed enough to sink into a bubble bath with a good book and a glass of wine. Afterwards, you sleep like a newborn babe.
Yes friends, travel can do that.
When you find yourself slogging home so exhausted from the day you get in a useless argument with your partner/kid/cat and eat cold leftovers in front of the TV, you need a vacation.
If you feel totally fried at work and can't remember the last time you took a break to take care of yourself, this retreat is for you.
I’ve seen the people who travel with me leave dead-end relationships, cut back from 80-hour work weeks to spend more time with their families, score their perfect job and tackle creative projects they were too intimidated and stressed to take on before.
Joining our Lisbon Like a Local retreat will banish burn-out and inject creative inspiration into your life.
- The trip for me was so much more than good food, history lessons, and walking tours. It was a measure of time that feels like a really good dream that I keep going back to in the midst of to do lists and carpools.
- My favorite part of the workshop was seeing [the city] through Olaiya's eyes. She easily navigates through the streets sharing all of her favorite places whether they be patisseries, chocolatiers, restaurants, markets or shops. Many of the places she took us I had not been to before or were not on my "to-do" list. By traveling with Olaiya I was able to feel like a local.
There are only 8 spots for this retreat
$3250 for double accommodation
$3650 for single accommodation
(Payable in 2 installments)
It takes a lot of time and effort to plan the perfect trip. And it can feel like a gamble in terms of the actual experience lining up with your dreams.
Any travel tour or guide book can lead you to the typical tourist spots. But that's where everyone goes. And then you return home needing a vacation from your vacation since your nerves are fried from all the planning and the the crowds.
When you join us in Lisbon, you get a taste of some of the most amazing food, wine, art, crafts and architecture Lisbon has to offer. You interact with local chefs, wine experts and creatives to get a feel for what the city is really like. You experience the city like a local, without wasting time or money trying to figure out which spots are awesome and which are just tourist traps.
Best of all, you arrive home with the energy to be a better, more present parent, partner and friend. You feel inspired to be more creative and productive in your professional life. That, my friends, is priceless.
- I adored Olaiya’s vision! I feel privileged she took us to so many extraordinary places. I would highly recommend her workshop! It's prepared like a pro but still has this easy going feeling.
- It was very relaxing for me to have everything planned and know that we were going to have a great time, guaranteed wonderful food and fun experiences without having to do any of the research myself!
Here’s the full list of magic we have planned for you in Lisbon:
- Two hands-on cooking classes with local chefs. One savory, one sweet.
- Food tours featuring local artisans who are crafting products with love
- A visit to a farmer’s market where you’ll meet the farmers and learn about their products
- Lots of opportunities to taste Portugal’s amazing wines and ports and learn about how they’re made
- Several cheese and charcuterie tastings. (You will not believe how good the cheese and charcuterie are in Portugal! You’re going to want to fill your suitcases with this stuff.)
- Lots of tasting pastéis de nata and other delicious pastries
- An excursion to a seaside village where you’ll tour a sea urchin farm, learn how to harvest sea urchins and enjoy a seafood lunch at a local restaurant
- A stop at an organic farm to learn all about their beautiful farm and products
- Culture and history walking tours highlighting Portugal’s amazingly beautiful architecture and grand past
- Visits to some of Lisbon’s most fantastic shops and markets
- Delicious breakfasts, Portuguese-style
- Lunch and dinner every day at local spots, traditional and modern
- 5 nights of accommodation at a boutique guesthouse
- A driver waiting for you at the airport to take you to your guesthouse and all transportation during the retreat
- Free time to make your own discoveries
- Personalized recommendations for your free time--in case you need a little help figuring out what to do.
- The camaraderie of traveling with a small group of fellow lovers of food, beauty and adventure
As an added bonus, all guests who sign-up before July 1 receive a one-on-one travel and lifestyle photography lesson with Filipe and me!
What happens next?
Click the button above and pay with credit card or PayPal. Once we receive your deposit, you receive a welcome email with details within 24 hours. As we get closer to the retreat, you’ll also get:
- A Lisbon-inspired reading and movie list (in case you want to get into the spirit of this beautiful city before you arrive)
- A detailed packing list to take the stress out of deciding what to bring
- The full itinerary of our time together so you can plan any extra activities you’d like to fit in
- I enjoyed everything! The trip was so well thought out, organized, and relaxed. I cannot wait for the next Portugal trip and traveling with Olaiya!
October 8-13, 2017
6 days of cooking, eating, drinking and exploring your way through Lisbon!
Number of participants:
$3250 for double accommodation
$3650 for single accommodation
*Payable in two installments: A 50% deposit is required to reserve your spot. The balance is due by September 1, 2017
Please be sure you can attend before booking. All payments are non-refundable.
• All meals during the workshop
• Five nights of single accommodation at a boutique guesthouse
• Two cooking classes with local chefs
• Multiple wine, cheese and pastry tastings
• Studio visits with local makers
• Guided walking tours through the city
• Transportation from the airport
• All transportation during the retreat
• A day-long excursion to the countryside
What's not included:
• Your airline tickets, taxes & baggage fees
• Travel insurance (which we highly advise)
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”
~ Mary Oliver