Only 1 spot left! Click here to make it yours.
This spring I'm teaming up with the super-talented Yossy Arefi to bring you a photography + styling workshop in Paris!
For those of you who don’t know her, Yossy is the author of Sweeter off the Vine: Fruit Desserts for Every Season. She is also a food photographer, stylist and the creator of the award-winning blog Apt. 2B Baking Co. Her work has been featured in Bon Appétit, Saveur, Martha Stewart, Good Housekeeping, Modern Farmer and T Magazine.
This spring, we invite you to join us for 4 days of savoring the sweet life in Paris!
We’ll gather in a light-filled Paris apartment to cook, style, shoot and share meals around the table. We’ll also stroll through the city capturing the stunning Paris light as we visit some of our favorite spots.
Here are the highlights of what we’ve got planned for you:
- Shooting and Styling - Follow along as we both cook, style and shoot dishes from start to finish. We will share our philosophies on everything from choosing ingredients and props to plating and composing the perfect shot. We’ll discuss how to utilize and shape natural light to create the perfect mood for any dish. Then, we will take some time to create your own unique vignettes and help you develop your personal photography style.
- Post Processing – Learn how we approach editing and post processing using Adobe Lightroom. Editing is one of the most important parts of photography and Lightroom is a powerful yet easy-to-use tool that will take your photography to the next level. We will share our favorite tips, tricks, and shortcuts.
- Tastings and Tours – So many tastings! We’ll sample Paris’ best chocolate, coffee, eclairs, macarons, and more. There's no shortage of amazing things to stop and taste in Paris and we will fit in as many as we can. We’ll walk the grands boulevards, taking in the famous architecture and light. We’ll wander the ancient streets of the city as we visit some of its most beautiful gardens and historic landmarks. The early birds in the group will wake with the sun one morning to shoot the sunrise and experience breathtaking views over the city (optional for non-early birds, of course).
- Market Visit – Paris is famous for its amazing markets and we’ll wander through one of them to gather ingredients for our shooting and styling lessons. We’ll search out perfect spring strawberries, plump green peas, tender baby greens and more. And we’ll talk tips for photographing all the gorgeous market produce.
- Gathering Around the Table – We’ll share meals together both in our beautiful workshop apartment and out and about in Paris. We’ll take you to our favorite locals-only cafes and experience amazing meals at our favorite restaurants.
- Exploration – There will be lots of guided tours, but we have also built in down time for you to stretch your legs and explore. We'll be blocks away from one of Paris’ best shopping areas, so those who want to shop can do so. We'll also be close to the Bastille and the Place des Vosges for those who want to get a glass of wine and people watch or just chill in a park. And we're happy to provide personalized recommendations of Paris sights and shops for your free time.
All skill levels are welcome. This will be the perfect opportunity to learn to shoot manually and master the settings on your camera if you’re new to that. More experienced photographers will love our hands-on styling and editing sessions as well as our guided tours through the city.
All you need to do is book your ticket, pack your bags and show up! We’ll take care of the rest. Meals, your hotel, navigating around the city--we’ve got it all covered so you can focus on taking in the incredible beauty of Paris. You’ll leave feeling more confident in your photography skills and full of creative inspiration.
May 31-June 4, 2017
4 days of cooking, shooting, styling, eating and drinking our way through Paris!
Number of participants:
$3250 (payable in two installments)
A 50% deposit is required to reserve your spot. The balance is due by March 31, 2017
Please be sure you can attend before booking. All payments are non-refundable.
• All meals during the workshop
• Four nights of single accommodation at a boutique hotel
• Styling, shooting and post-processing lessons
• Multiple wine, cheese and pastry tastings
• Guided walking tours through the city
• Transportation within Paris for all group excursions
What's not included:
• Your airline tickets, taxes & baggage fees
• Travel insurance (which we highly advise)
• Room service
• Gratuities for restaurant wait staff when you’re not with the group
• Meals when you’re not with the group
• Any activities or items not listed above
what past guests have to say
It was wonderful to learn “on the go” - to ask questions and get tips, feedback, and 1:1 assistance as we went. It felt so much more unique and exciting than attending a class. Since taking the workshop, I am now shooting in manual mode only and have gained more knowledge and confidence.
The Cook’s Palette
My favorite part of the workshop was seeing Paris through Olaiya's eyes. She easily navigates through the city sharing all of her favorite places whether they be patisseries, chocolatiers, restaurants, markets or shops. Many of the places she took us I had not been to before or were not on my "to-do" list. By traveling with Olaiya I was able to feel like a Parisian instead of working my way around the city in my broken French.
- What I liked best was the feeling of joy we all had in learning to use our camera. I also adored Olaiya’s vision on Paris! This city that I love so much has so many beautiful corners and I feel privileged she took us to so many extraordinary places. I would highly recommend her workshop! It's prepared like a pro but still has this easy going feeling.
- The trip for me was so much more than good food, history lessons, and walking tours. It was a measure of time that feels like a really good dream that I keep going back to in the midst of to do lists and carpools.